The College expects all students, those living on or off campus or commuting from the home of their parents or guardians, to act in an appropriate manner and treat others with respect. College policies reflect the minimal acceptable level of behavior and the consequences of not meeting these expectations.

  • Off campus students are required to provide their names, those of their roommates, their off campus address, off campus telephone number, landlord’s name and telephone. Students who fail to provide this information will be fined and a hold will be placed on their registration and records.
  • Students on and off campus are not permitted to possess any street, traffic or construction signs. Students who violate this policy will be referred to Student Affairs for disciplinary action and to the local authorities.
  • A student who is cited or arrested by the police for being under the influence of alcohol or drugs or for being disorderly, and is detained at the police station or other location, will not be signed or bailed out by college officials. The student will need to arrange for another person, whom the police deem suitable, to sign her/him out. If the student cannot arrange for an appropriate person to sign her/him out from the police station, the student will be detained until the police decide to release her/him.
  • If a citation is issued at an off campus house owned, rented or leased by King’s College students, the tenants of the dwelling will be suspended from the College for no less than one full semester. The tenants, whether present or not at the incident when the citation is issued, are responsible for behavior that takes place at their dwelling.
  • Students who are not tenants of the dwelling and are issued a citation will receive a sanction of not less than disciplinary probation for one semester, notification of parent/guardian, and $100.00 fine.
  • Any off campus dwelling deemed as a nuisance (defined as two or more complaints by the police or neighbors) will result in the student being required to move from the dwelling or he/she cannot remain a student at the College. All costs incurred by the student due to the move or failure thereof (and being dismissed from the College) are the responsibility of the student.
  • Students conduct cases that are referred as a result of off campus incidents or citation will be heard through the College Judicial Process (informal disciplinary process or by administrative hearing).

Residential Neighborhoods and Noise

Many of the areas where students live are either adjacent to or are primary residential neighborhoods for families. This is especially true for the properties on North Main Street, Madison Street and North Street. Student residents are a part of their neighborhood and must respect their neighbor’s right to privacy and quiet. Loud music or other noise will result in a police response to their apartment or house. The City of Wilkes-Barre does have a noise ordinance which is enforced.

Fire Safety

The City of Wilkes-Barre is concerned about fire safety in off-campus student apartments and houses.

  • Smoke Detectors: While most apartments and houses have smoke detectors, some do not. You should have smoke detectors in your apartment or house. If the landlord does not provide smoke detectors, you should install them. Batteries should never be removed from the smoke detectors to disable them. Remember to change batteries twice a year in conjunction with the change of clocks.
  • Space Heaters: Some houses use space heaters, which are often the cause of fires in apartments and dwellings. If your heat does not work properly, contact your landlord.
  • Fire Extinguishers: There should be at least one dry chemical fire extinguisher in each apartment unit. There should always be a fire extinguisher in the kitchen area.
  • Blocked Doorways: Doorways and exits to dwellings should never be blocked or locked with a padlock. Padlocks should never be used on bedroom doors.
  • Holes in Walls: Holes in walls reduce the wall effectiveness as a barrier to fire and permit fire to enter the interior structure of the property.
  • Know Escape Routes: You should clearly be able to identify two escape routes from your bedroom and apartment.

If you have concerns about your apartment safety, you can contact the following city agencies for assistance:

  • Fire Department (fire safety concerns): 208-4261
  • Neighborhood Impact Team (building safety and codes): 208-4123
  • Police Department – Crime Prevention: 208-4191
  • All Emergencies: 911


On occasion, apartments and houses are burglarized and personal property is stolen or damaged. Always lock exterior doors. Do not leave your apartment or house unlocked.

  • Make sure you record the serial numbers and model numbers of all expensive equipment.
  • When you move into your apartment, take photos or video record your apartment and belongings.
  • Have renters insurance for fire, theft and liability.
  • Break and vacation periods are the most likely time for thefts from students’ apartments and houses. Make sure the window and door locks work. Do not leave expensive property, stereo, TV, computer and other equipment in plain sight in the apartment.
  • Report any suspicious person or activities to the Wilkes-Barre Police.

Overcrowding Ordinance

In the City of Wilkes-Barre, no more than four unrelated persons may share one dwelling-apartment or house. If the city cites your landlord for violating the ordinance, the landlord will be required to evict those tenants exceeding the maximum number per household.


In many city neighborhood areas, there is permit parking for property owners. Often renters are not eligible to obtain permits for on street parking. Students who violate the permit parking law or meters should expect to be ticketed and towed. Students are not permitted to park on the street on North Franklin Street from Union Street to Jackson Street, in front of the row/townhouses or on the traffic circle. The spaces in front of the row/townhouses are for the residents of these homes only. Students will be ticketed and towed by the City and repeated offenses will result in disciplinary action by the College.


Apartments and houses that have city garbage service, which is all apartments except larger apartment units where the landlord may provide a dumpster, are required to use the blue city garbage bags that you must purchase at local stores or at Monarch Mart located in the Sheehy-Farmer Campus Center. Other garbage bags will not be accepted and violators will be fined by the city.

Information for students and parents about Off-Campus Housing are available here, on the Dean of Students webpage.