Accessibility and Accommodation/ Disability Services Requests

All students are encouraged to contact King's Disability Services in the early stages of their college planning.

Accommodations-  If you are new to King's College with a college email or a current student who has not yet submitted documentation, request to start the Accommodations process by completing the New Accommodation and Documentation Upload form.  If you do not have a college email, please send documentation to or fax 570-825-9049 attention Yech. Faculty will carry out accommodations for those who followed the process to disclose and requested them. Anyone can refer students to Mrs. Sheri Yech, Disability Services Coodinator for additional or new accommodation requests. 

Who Is Eligible?
Services are available to members of the King's College community-any student, faculty, or staff member who has a disability. Individuals eligible for service include, but are not limited to, those with learning disabilities, autism spectrum or attention disorders, and mobility, orthopedic, chronic medical diagnosis, hearing, vision or speech impairments. Students with food allergies, Celiac Disease, Gluten-related disorders, or other dietary restrictions may discuss these matters with the Disability Services Coordinator and Dining Services staff.  Additionally, individuals with temporary disabilities, such as those resulting from concussion, injury or surgery, may also be eligible for services. Scroll down for listing of services available for varying needs. We encourage Military members or Veterans to reach out and inquire about supports and services due to being wounded,disabled, or current mental or physical health concerns impacting academic work. 

These services recognize the rights of all qualified individuals with disabilities to equal access to an education as guaranteed under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Disability Services Program at King's College are coordinated by the Academic Skills Center, located on the lobby floor of the Mulligan Science Center. The goal of these services is to maximize a person's educational potential while supporting independence and advocacy skills.

Students are encouraged to contact the Disability Services Coordinator of the Academic Skills Center upon considering King's College or any time through the admission process to discuss their concerns and to develop appropriate plans to meet their educational needs. A request for services or accommodations is initiated by registering with the Academic Skills Center and providing appropriate documentation.

Suggested Criteria for Doumentation:

  1. Clearly state the diagnosed disability or disabilities
  2. Describe the functional limitations resulting from the disability or disabilities
  3. Be current and/or demonstrate a history of services - The following guidelines are recommended, but documentation is reviewed and interpreted on an individual basis i.e., completed within the last 5 years for LD or Autism Spectrum Disorders, last twelve months for food-related allergies/issues or psychiatric disabilities, or last three years for ADHD (NOTE: this requirement does not apply to physical or sensory disabilities of a permanent or unchanging nature)
  4. Include complete educational, developmental, and/or medical history relevant to the disability for which testing accommodations are being requested
  5. Include a list of all test instruments used in the evaluation report and relevant subtest scores used to document the stated disability (this requirement does not apply to physical or sensory disabilities of a permanent or unchanging nature)
  6. Describe the specific accommodations requested
  7. Adequately support each of the requested testing accommodation(s)
  8. Be typed or printed on official letterhead and be signed by an evaluator qualified to make the diagnosis (include information about license or certification and area of specialization).

Fax Number: 570-825-9049        New Accommodation and Documentation Upload form

Mailing address:
Mrs. Sheri Yech, Director Academic Skills Center
Disability Services Coordinator
King's College Academic Skills Center
133 North River Street
Wilkes-Barre, PA 18711    
Book an Appointment:
Personal Zoom Meeting Link   Meeting ID: 934 913 1187

Accommodations may include, as needed, extended time for testing, course registration assistance, orientation to campus, on-campus housing or dining arrangements, note taking support, and contact with faculty members, regarding academic accommodations. Disability Services provides a liaison role with disability related state and federal resources,

First and Second year students with a disability interested in comprehensive transition services beyond accommodations should refer to the First-year Academic Studies Program, a component of the Academic Skills Center.

The Academic Skills Center will not release any information at any point in the disability accommodation process regarding an individual's diagnosis or medical information without his or her informed written consent.

Possible supports:

Food allergies, Gluten-free, Celiac Disease or other dietary restrictions
  1. educate student on website resources for dining services
  2. meet with dining services staff to learn about campus options and discuss individual needs
  3. meal plan or residence life accommodations as appropriate
  4. meet with other students who have food restrictions if requested
Mobility Impaired
  1. Physical orientation to the campus
  2. Disability parking permits and parking spaces
  3. Regularly-scheduled sessions with staff to coordinate individual support services
  4. Referral to accessible housing on or off campus and for personal care attendant needs
  5. Liaison services with the Pennsylvania Office of Vocational Rehabilitation (OVR)
Blind or Visually Impaired
  1. Physical orientation to the campus
  2. Regularly-scheduled sessions with staff to coordinate individual support services
  3. Alternative media texts
  4. Liasion services with Pennsylvania Blindness and Visual Services (BVS)
Hearing Impaired
  1. Regularly-scheduled sessions with staff to facilitate individual support services
  2. Coordination between student and faculty regarding the use of assistive devices
  3. Assistance in locating note-takers
  4. Liaison with the Pennsylvania Office of Vocational Rehabilitation
Learning Differences/ADHD
  1. Regularly-scheduled meetings with academic support staff to monitor academic progress and to coordinate individual support services
  2. Alternative media texts
  3. Coordination with student and faculty concerning assistive devices (smartpen, spell checkers, talking calculators, readers)
  4. Extended time for testing and assistance in note-taking, as appropriate
  5. use of testing center for smaller setting
Residence Life: Housing Assignments-Esseff Hall, Holy Cross Hall and Luksic Hall
Students with diabilities who require specialized housing are accommodated in the College residence halls. Please use the form mentioned above for accommodations or contact Sheri Yech for an application. 

Facilities:  It is strongly recommended that students with disabilities that limit their physical mobility be assigned as follows: for women, the second floor of Esseff Hall (the first residential floor); for men, the first occupied residential floor in Holy Cross Hall.  All undergraduate and graduate fulltime students are eligible to reside in Esseff and Holy Cross Halls.  Luksic Hall houses sophmore, junior, senior and graduate students.

Single Room: If a student needs additional space due to the use of a wheelchair or other equipment or approved accommodation by the Disability Coordinator, they can apply for a single room at the double-occupancy rate.

Fulltime Attendant: If a student requires an attendant, a non-student attendant will be permitted to live in the room at no extra cost. An individual providing attendant care must be bonded through an appropriate agency. A copy of the necessary credentials must be provided to the Academic Skills Office and the Office of Residence Life. King's College does not provide, assume coordination, or financial responsibilities for personal attendant services.  It is the responsibility of the student to secure these services. Please note that the college maintains two single sex residence halls: Esseff Hall (females) and Holy Cross Hall (males). An attendant, if living in the either of these halls, is subject to the same residency restrictions.

College Apartments- Alumni Hall, Flood Hall, King's on the Square and O'Hara Hall

Alumni Hall, Flood Hall, King's on the Square and O'Hara Hall contain student apartments designed for three to four students per unit.  Alumni Hall, Flood Hall, King's on the Square and O'Hara Hall are each equipped with a handicapped-accessible apartment.  A student with a physical disability will be given priority in selecting a handicapped accessible apartment. Students living in Flood Hall are to be aware that the building is located atop a hill above the main part of campus. While Flood Hall is handicapped accessible, students need to consider accessibility in light of the location of the hall. During inclement weather, access to Flood Hall may be difficult.


Disability Services Resources

If you have questions or comments about our services, please e-mail Mrs. Sheri Yech, Director of Disability Services or call us at 570-208-5841.

Association of Higher Education and Disability

Heath Resource Center: Online Clearinghouse on Postsecondary Education for Individuals with Disabilities

Preparing for PostSecondary Education: Know Your Rights and Education

Pennsylvania Office of Vocational Rehabilitation

Vocational Rehabilitation Agencies

Student Resources

Faculty Resources

Campus Resources

Counseling Center
Administration Building - 6th floor
(570) 208-5873

Student Health Center
Andre Hall, 72 W. North St.
(570) 208-5852

Accessible Parking
Campus Security and Safety Department
(570) 208-5926