As part of the F-1 Visa process students are required to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee.  This fee is in additional to the consular visa fee and is non-refundable.  Currently the cost is $350 for F students. 

You must have a complete and accurate Form I-20 to complete the Form I-901 online and to pay the SEVIS Fee. Ensure a printer is connected and working before continuing.  

What is the SEVIS Fee? 

In 2004, Congress authorized the I-901 SEVIS Fee which supports the program office and the database that keeps track of students and exchange visitors to ensure that they maintain their status while in the United States. Typically this will be a one-time payment, though there may be a few exceptions to this. 

When to pay the SEVIS fee 

You will need to pay the fee a minimum of 3 days before applying for your visa.(Dependents coming on an F-2 visa do not need to pay the SEVIS fee – ONLY the primary visa holder pays the fee.)

Paying the SEVIS fee

There are three ways to pay the fee:   

Pay online: 

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has a website for SEVIS fee payments here. Payment can be made by any Visa, Master Card or American Express card, whether issued in the U.S. or abroad. 

SEVP is currently unable to accept SEVIS I-901 fee payments by credit card on behalf of students from the following countries: Cameroon, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, and Gambia.  Students from these countries must pay by Western Union. 

Pay at a Western Union 

Western Union can collect the SEVIS I-901 fee, in local currency, along with the form I-901 data and transmit them to Immigration. The Western Union receipt serves as immediate verification of fee payment.

Pay by check or money order that is in U.S. dollars and drawn on a bank located in the U.S. 

Many foreign banks can issue checks or money orders drawn on a U.S. bank, so you should be able to obtain the check or money order in your home country. The check must be payable to “I-901 Student/Exchange Visitor Processing Fee.” Be sure to mail the check to the appropriate address on the I-901 instructions. A receipt will be mailed to the address on the I- 901. 

Here is a tutorial created by the Department of Homeland Security which provides step-by-step instructions on how to pay. 

Do I need a receipt? 

Yes! In order to get your student visa, you must present proof of your SEVIS I-901 fee payment at your visa interview. Print a receipt of payment after you have completed your SEVIS I- 901 fee payment here.