Where is the Student Health Center? The student health center is located at Andre Hall 72 W. North St. The building is handicap accessible through the side door.

What are the Student Health Center hours? The student health center is open at the following times during the academic year:
Monday through Friday
8:30am - 4:30pm (Close at 4:00pm August 1st - August 17th)
Closed Saturday and Sunday; see postings for other closures.

Who can use the Student Health Center? Any full-time student who has completed the health services requirements can be evaluated in the student health center.

Do I need health insurance to be treated in the Student Health Center? Health insurance is not utilized to receive treatment in the student health center; however it is necessary if a student needs testing or treatment that is not available at the student health center. Health insurance is a requirement for all resident, international, and student-athletes.

Do I need an appointment? The student health center is a walk-in clinic that does not require an appointment. An RN is on duty Monday through Friday from 830am-430pm. Please refer to the general information section for additional physician or physician assistant hours daily.  We provide services to our patients in the most efficient and timely manner possible.

Special considerations:

  • Allergy injections - Administered while physician or physician assistant is on site in the health center on a daily basis.
  • Tuberculin Screening (PPD) Tests - Tests are available to ALL King's students.  A $15 fee will be charged to the student's business account for any commuter or off-campus student.  For resident students, the fee is included in the semester health fee.  Time of application must be consistent with hours of operation (not administered on Thursdays) and the ability to return in 48 -72 hours to have the test read. If the student does not return in a timely manner to have the test read,  it will be necessary to repeat the TB test with an additional charge. Tuberculin screenings tests for international students are mandatory and provided during orientation.

What should I do if I am injured or feeling ill? Come to the student health center or call us at 570-208- 5852. You will be evaluated by one of the health center clinicians. If you are not sure that you need a visit, ask to speak to the nurse who will help you decide. If you are severely ill, you might be referred to a local hospital, urgent care center or specialist.

What should I do if I need help and the Health Service is closed? In the evenings, nights or on weekends please contact your RA or RC for assistance. In the event of an emergency call 911 or go directly to the Wilkes-Barre General Hospital or Geisinger Wyoming Valley Hospital.

Emergencies: Dial 911 for Wilkes-Barre City EMS If a student is severly ill, or in need of further evaluation, you may be referred to an emergency room or an urgent care center. The student health center may request an ambulance for transport to a local hospital. Students are responsible for all bills incurred that are not covered by health insurance.

What happens to students who are too ill to stay in the residence halls? King's College is located in central Wilkes-Barre and is in close proximity to hospitals and urgent care centers. Depending upon the nature and/or seriousness of the illness, a student can be sent home or be admitted to one of the local hospitals.

How do students get to local hospitals or to medical appointments off-campus? If necessary and available, security will transport students to a medical facility within a few mile radius of campus.

Does the Student Health Center provide medical excuses? The student health center provides a visit verification for a student if requested at time of visit with recommendations if isolation is suggested. It is the purview of the faculty to decide when or if a student is excused. Students who need to miss class due to illness/injury are encouraged to:

  • Notify the instructor(s) that they are ill or injured and unable to attend class or complete an assignment
  • Follow the directions for missed class/assignment provided by the faculty member on the course syllabus
  • For severe cases or extended absences, the student must notify the Associate Dean of Student Affairs who will assist with dissemination of information

How much does it cost to use the Student Health Center? The cost depends on the student's residence status. Resident students pay a mandatory health fee each semester which includes services rendered in the health center. Off-campus and commuter students are on a fee-for-service basis only.

What is the Health Fee? The health fee is the cost for health related services and is mandatory for all resident students. This fee provides for medical care, medications dispensed by a King's health care provider from the health center formulary,  and diagnostic procedures and tests done at the student health center in addition to available counseling services and wellness events on campus.  It is automatically charged to your student account.

What does fee-for-service mean? Commuter and off-campus students who have submitted their health services requirements are eligible to use the student health center on a fee-for-service basis.
The fee-for-service cost is added to the student's account.

  • $30.00 - Clinician Visit
  • $15.00 - Allergy Injections; Tuberculin Screening (PPD) Tests
  •  Prescription Medication at Cost 

What is the difference between the health fee and health insurance? The health fee is for services provided by the student health center. This fee is mandatory for full-time resident students. Health insurance provides coverage for medicine, doctor or hospital visits outside the student health center.The health fee is not a substitute for health insurance. Payment for off-campus care or medication is the responsibility of the student. Students are responsible for all bills incurred that are not covered by their health insurance carrier.

Do I need health insurance? Health insurance coverage is mandatory for the following full-time students:

  • Resident
  • Intercollegiate athletes
  • International

Students are required to present proof of insurance to the Student Health Center by completing the health form on the portal. 

Do I need health insurance if I live off-campus or commute? Health insurance coverage is strongly recommended but not mandatory for the following full-time students:

  • Commuter students
  • Off-campus students

What if I don't have health insurance? If you need health insurance: King's College offers referrals to several agents who can discuss purchasing options. Please contact Sandy Baltimore @ 570-819-2000 or Dave Turley @ 269-381-6630.

Can I keep medicine in my room? Yes, you can keep needed medicine in your room. We also recommend you bring the following items:

  • Thermometer
  • Pain / Fever Reducer
  • Decongestant
  • Cough Syrup
  • Throat Lozenges
  • Anti-Diarrheal / Upset Stomach Medications
  • Allergy Medication
  • Heating Pad
  • Band Aids
  • Antibacterial Ointment
  • Calamine Lotion
  • Tweezers
  • Tissues
  • Contact solution
  • Refills of any prescription medication you take on a regular basis

What should I know about my personal medical history? Before coming to King's College you should familiarize yourself with the following aspects of your personal medical history:

  • Allergies
  • Medications
  • Chronic diseases
  • Know if your health insurance carrier requires pre-authorization for treatment and which health care providers they allow
  • Make a copy of your health information for your records

Is my health care confidential? Your medical care is strictly confidential, and no information will be released to parents, faculty, administrators, insurance companies, or anyone else, without your permission. The only exceptions are:

  • If suicide or homicide is threatened
  • If you are in a life-threatening condition, medical information will be released to the professionals who are providing care, or to others on a need to know basis. Exception: HIV status will not be released.
  • If you are admitted to the hospital, the Associate Dean of Student Affairs will be notified.
  • If we are requested by law for some communicable diseases or by a subpoena.

Please make sure that emergency contact numbers are current.

Where should my health information be sent? All students should submit their health information via the student health portal. If not possible and with prior approval from health center staff, hard copies can be sent to the King's College Student Health Center, Andre' Hall, 133 N. River St. Wilkes-Barre, PA 18711.