Members of King’s College’s Sports Medicine Society, along with members of the department’s faculty, recently took part in the eleventh annual “Trick-or-Canning” food drive.
Members of the group, dressed in Halloween costumes, collected more than 1,200 non-perishable food items from neighborhoods in Kingston and Mountain Top to be donated to St. Vincent dePaul Kitchen. This year’s community service effort marked a record total of goods collected.
King’s College recently hosted its annual Legal Career Day which involved approximately 100 juniors and seniors from six local high schools.
The students, who have an interest in the legal profession, heard presentations from King’s faculty and student representatives involved in the Pre-Law Program, as well as local attorneys Joseph Cosgrove and Jane Acri.
As a result of a gift to King’s College from area natives Carmen and Sandra Maffei, the theatre at King’s College has been named in honor of their late son, George P. Maffei, II, a 1979 graduate of King’s, and an endowment has been established in his name to provide a student scholarship.
The scholarship will be awarded annually to a “student interested in participating in theatre productions.” The first recipient of the scholarship will be named this fall.
The King’s College Theatre Department will present Tom Stoppard’s comedy “Arcadia” at 7:30 p.m. Nov. 14-17 and Nov. 17 at 2 p.m., in the George P. Maffei II Theatre.
Winner of the 1995 New York Drama Critics’ Circle Award for Best Play, “Arcadia” is set in an English country house in the years 1809-1812 and the present day. The story follows two modern scholars whose lives are intertwined with the lives of the people who lived in the elegant estate 180 years earlier.
King’s College Chemistry Club will present a traditional ghoulish exhibition of chemical delights in commemoration of National Chemistry Week and Halloween with the 16th Annual “Things that Go Boom in the Night” at 7 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 12, in the Burke Auditorium, William G. McGowan School of Business, located on North River Street.