As a caring member of the community, you have many wonderful talents and characteristics. Volunteering in the Wyoming Valley will provide you with the unique opportunity to help others while learning more about the world you live in.
Consider your talents and how you can use them to create a rewarding experience for both the community and yourself.
CURRENT VOLUNTEER AND GIVING OPPORTUNITIES (Click link for current opportunities)
ONE-TIME (OR MORE) VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES -- Good for FYE/Core 90 and other service requirements -- generally can take help with short notice:
- Volunteers of America Thrift Store. Individuals are welcome to volunteer at the Thrift Store on Monday through Saturday from 9 am to 6 pm. It is located at 400 S. Main, Wilkes-Barre. Individuals can stop in or call 570-829-5100. Groups wishing to volunteer should call in advance.
- Food Pantry at St. Stephen’s (35. S. Franklin St.); needs students to give out food and organize distribution area. Monday--Friday, 12-3pm. Contact: Debra Kellerman, email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; (email is best contact); 570-239-7834 (cell); 570-829-5611 (office)
- Clothes Closet at St. Stephen’s (35. S. Franklin St.); needs students to unpack donation bags, sort and hang clothes, distribute clothes to clients, and straighten up. Tuesdays, 3:00--7:00pm. Contact: Debra Kellerman, email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; (email is best contact); 570-239-7834 (cell); 570-829-5611 (office)
- Gardens at Wyoming Valley Senior Residence (50 N. Pennsylvania Ave.); needs students to do pre-planned activities with seniors during Activities Hour. 7 Days a week as follows: Mon., Fri., Sat., Sun.: 9:30-10:30am; 10:30-11:30am; 2:00—3:00pm; Tues., Wed., & Thurs.: 9:30-10:30am; 10:30-11:30am; 2:00—3:00pm; and 7:00--8:00pm. Students may also visit and talk with seniors at most times. All volunteers should first contact Marla Telford and bring the volunteer form (below) MTelford@WyomingValley-phg.com; 570-825-3488. GARDENS at Wyoming Valley Volunteer form: new form-03-2018.pdf
- CEO/Weinberg Regional Food Bank (car needed--185 Research Drive, Pittston, PA 18640); assist in loading and packing food boxes for individuals and families in need. Saturday mornings. Contact Tony Teberio at email@example.com; 570-826-0510, Ext. 508.
Sample of other Volunteer Opportunities:
- Candy’s Place Cancer Wellness Center is looking for ongoing volunteers in the following areas: administrative support, fundraising initiatives, boutique management, special projects e.g. seminars, workshops etc. Please Contact Jonelle at Candy’s Place, 570-714-8800, to get you started! Thank you!
- Alzheimer’s Association is always looking for volunteers. They need people who are comfortable making phone calls, helping in the community at health fairs, and potentially helping with presentations. Some training is required. Please contact Gail Aideuis at 570-822-9915 ext: 4023. Located at 57 N. Franklin Street Wilkes-Barre, PA 18701.
- McGlynn Learning Center is looking for volunteers to help students with their homework after school. McGlynn Learning Center. Call 570-824-8891, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. McGlynn Learning Center is located at 72 Midland Ct. (Boulevard Townhomes) Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702.
- Osterhaut Library is looking for volunteers to help in the Circulation Department. If you are interested contact the library at 570-823-0156 ext 210 and ask to speak to the volunteer coordinator. The library is located at 71 S. Franklin Street.
- Luzerne county Special Olympics -recreational bowling for Special Needs athletes. Held every Saturday morning at 10:30 am at Chacko's Bowling in Wilkes-Barre. The athletes play 2 games of bowling & are usually done by 11:30. Volunteers would cheer on & hang out with athletes while they bowled. Last bowling event for season is Saturday April 27. Any interested students can contact Ada Magni at: email@example.com