What to Expect
King’s offers three majors in the health professions: Athletic Training, Clinical Laboratory Science/Medical Technology and Physician Assistant. In addition, we offer a Pre-Health program for those interested in pursuing professional school.
Athletic training professionals work with all types of physically active individuals to prevent, recognize and manage athletic related injuries. Medical technologists, also known as clinical laboratory scientists, perform and supervise laboratory analyses on blood, body fluids, and tissue. They also provide data to detect, diagnose and monitor disease. Physician Assistants, more commonly referred to as PAs, perform many of the services previously reserved for physicians, such as physical exams, ordering diagnostic tests, establishing preliminary diagnoses, assisting in surgery and prescribing medicine.
While athletic trainers do find rewarding careers working with professional sports teams, they also work in many other areas, including:
- Sports medicine clinics
- Health clubs and fitness centers
- Hospitals and rehabilitation centers
Medical technologists might choose to work in hospital, research, forensic and private laboratories, or they might work in other areas, including:
- Biotechnology industry
- Laboratory sales and lab product development
- Health services organizations
- Pharmaceutical companies
While PAs generally assist physicians in primary care, King’s students are trained to work in all subspecialties of medicine including:
Many health profession majors go on to graduate or professional school to pursue other career options such as teaching, research and administration.
Here are just a few examples of job positions and institutions where our alumni have found success:
- Dianon Systems, Inc., Medical Technologist, Stratford, Conn.
- Drexel University, MS, Medical Sciences, Philadelphia, Pa.
- Duke University, surgical resident, Durham, N.C.
- Farleigh Dickinson University-Florham, Athletic Trainer, Florham, N.J.
- Lehigh Valley Health Care System, Urological Physician Assistant, Allentown, Pa.
- STAR, Inc. Physical Therapy and Fitness, Assistant Athletic Trainer, Marion Heights, Pa.
- St. Mary’s Hospital, Pediatrics Physician Assistant, Waterbury, Conn.