Grading System
Academic Standing
Repeating Courses in Part-time Programs
Progress toward Degree
Withdrawal from College
Academic Grievances
Access to Student Records

Because of the specialized nature of the King's College graduate programs, the academic advisement program has a special role to play. Each matriculated student is assigned to an advisor with whom the student must meet at least once each semester. The advisement program, which maintains the student-faculty relation on a personal and somewhat informal basis, is also intended to provide a variety of other academic student services: advisement on course scheduling and sequencing, consultation on academic program-career planning goals, stimulation of professional interest and development, and maintaining lines of communication among the College, the employer and the student/employee.

Each student will also be assisted by his or her advisor in the preparation of the student's program of study and interpretation of academic regulations.

The advisor will review the student's progress in the approved program of study each semester. Consultation is especially important at the time of registration; the advisor must approve the courses in which a student registers as being consistent with the approved program of study.

When necessary, the student may request, or be directed to request, the specialized guidance and counseling services offered to all students at King's College by the Counseling Center and by the Office of Career Planning.

- back to top

Current graduate students may register for courses by completing the online registration link below for their program:

Master of Science in Healthcare Administration Program

Graduate Education Programs 

Upon completing the form, the request will be sent to the appropriate Graduate Academic Advisor for approval.  Graduate students will receive a registration confirmation within 72 hours of submitting the request.  

Graduate Schedules

- back to top

Grading System
The work of all graduate students will be evaluated and reported in terms of the following grades:

A 4.0
A- 3.67
B+ 3.33
B 3.00
B- 2.67
C+ 2.33
C 2.0
C- 1.67
D 1.00
F 0.0
IN 0.0 Work in course not completed. If such work is not completed by midterm report date of the following semester, the grade of "F" will be entered as the final grade
IP 0.0 In progress; used for courses that legitimately extend beyond one semester, such as research or independent study courses. Completion is indicated by one of the regular grades reported in the following semester, and credit is received at that time
W 0.0 Approved withdrawal from course after class meeting has commenced. For the deadline for withdrawal without academic penalty, contact the Graduate Division Office.
AW 0.0 Academic withdrawal. The College reserves the right, in those instances where a student is deemed to be in serious violation of college policy, to initiate cancellation of the student's registration.
NG 0.0 No grade. The College reserves the right to withhold a final grade if a student fails to complete all necessary enrollment procedures. Completion is indicated by one of the regular grades.

- back to top

Academic Standing
Students matriculated in part-time graduate programs are required to maintain an overall grade point average of 3.0 (B) or above in his/her graduate program. A student's GPA is determined by dividing the total number of grade points earned by the total number of graded graduate semester hours earned, exclusive of courses in which the grades IN, IP, and W are recorded.

If a student's GPA is less than 3.0 for any semester or session, his/her standing will be reviewed by the Graduate Policy Committee, and the student may be placed on academic probation. If the student's cumulative GPA remains less than 3.0, his/her registration may be withdrawn and the student may be suspended or dismissed from his/her graduate program.

A student who is suspended from his/her graduate program may reapply for admission. When a student is dismissed from a graduate program, there is no opportunity to return.

Students matriculated in the full-time graduate program in Physician Assistant Program are subject to the academic standing policies found on the Physician Assistant website:

- back to top

Repeating Courses in Part-time Programs
To be used towards a student's program of studies, graduate courses must receive a grade of C or better. Courses in which the grade earned is an F may not be used in the student's program of studies, and, if required for the degree, must be repeated. Courses may be repeated only once. The grade from the repeated course, if C or better, will be counted in the student's cumulative GPA. The original grade will remain on the student's transcript, but will not be counted in the cumulative GPA. If the grade in the repeated course is again an F, a student may be dismissed from his/her graduate program.

Courses in which the grade earned is a C or better may not be repeated.

- back to top

Progress toward Degree
A student accepted to a degree program is expected to work with continuity and to register in that program until all requirements are completed. Ordinarily, a student registers each semester for a minimum of three credit hours.

The usual time limit for completion of a part-time graduate program is seven years from the time of entrance. Failure to complete the requirements for the degree within this time limit will normally result in the dismissal of the student from the program. The student, however, may apply for an extension of time for exceptional reasons. The Graduate Policy Committee will review the request and make a decision. The student will be informed in writing of the Committee's decision.

A student who needs to withdraw from a graduate program for a foreseeable length of time (up to two years) for personal or financial reasons may ask to be placed in a hiatus status. The hiatus period will normally not be counted towards the time limit for program completion.

A student, not in hiatus status, who does not register for graduate courses during two consecutive calendar years will be required to reapply for admission to the graduate program. A student who wishes to be readmitted should schedule an interview with the dean of graduate programs. No fee is required for readmission. Students in good standing may be readmitted under the catalogue standards in effect at the time of re-entry.

- back to top

Withdrawal from College
A student who withdraws from College is requested to have an exit interview with the relevant graduate program director. The date of the completed exit interview is considered as the date of withdrawal, and any refund of tuition is based on this date. (See section on refunds policy.) The exit interview may be conducted over the telephone if the student is not able to be on campus.

- back to top


The College cannot be held responsible for the conduct of graduate students outside the premises. It is expected, however, that graduate students, as members of the academic community, will respect the rights of others. Failure to respect these rights could result in disciplinary probation, suspension or dismissal from the College.

The King's College Physician Assistant students are expected to represent the program with the highest degree of professionalism, both on and off campus. For more information, students should refer to the Physician Assistant Professional Phase Didactic and Clinical Manuals.

Physician Assistant Drug and Alcohol Policy

The King's College Department of Physician Assistant Studies follows the policies outlined in the King's College Student Handbook. The use of drugs or alcohol prior to or during any activities pertaining to the program is strictly prohibited. If there is reasonable suspicion of impairment, the student will immediately be removed from that activity/class/rotation. An institution, clinical site or the PA Program may request or require drug and/or alcohol testing and/or referral for counseling and treatment.

Prior to the start of the professional phase of the program, students will be required to get a ten-panel urine drug and/or alcohol test done at a licensed laboratory. Students are required to have this testing done annually and in some cases, testing will be done randomly upon request. Students will sign a consent form with a waiver of liability releasing this information to the Program and any Clinical Site that may require the reported results. If the student refuses, he/she may be unable to complete the requirements of the program. Specific disciplinary actions and/or dismissals will be handled on an individual basis. The student is responsible for all associated costs incurred.


Academic dishonesty in graduate work in any form is regarded as a serious offense and may result in failure of a semester course, suspension, or dismissal from the College. All cases of plagiarism and cheating are to be reported to the director of the graduate program.

Plagiarism is the dishonest use of the work of others. Plagiarism means presenting as one's own, the words or the work of someone else. The plagiarist offers as his or her own, for credit, the language, or information, or thought for which he or she deserves no credit. Plagiarism defeats the purpose of the course: improvement of the student's own powers of thinking and communication.

- back to top

Academic Grievances and Appeals

Students matriculated in the full-time graduate program in Physician Assistant Studies are subject to the academic grievance and appeals policies found in the program's Professional Phase Didactic and Clinical Handbooks.

Other academic grievances are resolved in the following manner:

  • The student consults with the faculty member in question seeking a mutually agreeable solution to the issue at hand.
  • If the student is not satisfied with the response received from the faculty member, he or she meets with the department chairperson or program director to discuss the grievance. The chairperson or program director consults with the faculty member regarding the student grievance and communicates to the student the outcome of that meeting.
  • If the student is not satisfied with the response received from the department chairperson or program director, he or she meets with the Associate Vice President for Enrollment and Academic Services to discuss the grievance. If the Associate Vice President deems that the issue is not an academic grievance, he or she refers the student to the appropriate office for registering the complaint. Otherwise, the Associate Vice President for Enrollment and Academic Services consults with the department chairperson or program director and the faculty member regarding the student’s grievance and communicates to the student the outcome of that meeting.
  • If the student is not satisfied with the response received from the Associate Vice President for Enrollment and Academic Services, the student has the option of presenting his or her grievance to the Academic Grievance Board. The Associate Vice President for Enrollment and Academic Services informs the student of the procedure to be followed in submitting a formal grievance to the Academic Grievance Board.

The procedure for filing a formal grievance with the Academic Grievance Board is as follows:

  • The student submits a written report of the alleged grievance including copies of pertinent materials (i.e. exams, papers, course syllabus, assignment handouts, etc.) to the Associate Vice President for Enrollment and Academic Services. This must be done within five school days of receiving the response from the Associate Vice President for Enrollment and Academic Services as outlined in #4 above. A copy of this report is given to the faculty member who must submit a written response within five days after receiving it. A copy of the response is given to the student.
  • The Associate Vice-President for Enrollment and Academic Services refers the grievance to the Academic Grievance Board and provides the board with copies of all the materials mentioned in #1 above.

The Academic Grievance Board

The Academic Grievance Board is composed of:

  • The Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs, who chairs the Board and rules on all issues of the proceedings.
  • Two tenured faculty members and one tenured alternate elected annually at the beginning of the fall semester by the faculty at large.
  • Two students and one student alternate (seniors with a minimum G.P.A. of 2.50) chosen annually by Student Government. The Academic Coordinator of Student Government, if qualified, may be one of the student members. No student who has violated the College’s academic integrity policy may serve on the Board.

The Academic Grievance Board proceeds as follows:

  • Within ten school days of receiving the written documentation, the Academic Grievance Board meets. The Board reviews the written documentation and will request interviews with the student and faculty member involved.
  • The Board deliberates in closed session, each of the five members having one vote. A majority vote decides the issue. The deliberations of the Board are confidential.
  • The Vice-President for Enrollment and Academic Affairs records the Board’s decision, communicates it in writing to both the student and faculty member, and places a copy of the decision in their files.
  • Both the student and the faculty member must comply with the Board’s decision. This concludes the appeals process.

- back to top

Access to Student Records

In accordance with the 1975 Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, the College has established a policy concerning access to student records. The full policy is available upon request from the Registrar's Office. The following items are included here because of their general interest.

  • Grade reports, probation and suspension letters and other correspondence are sent directly to students at their home address.
  • Access to student records is permitted only upon receipt of a written release by the student.
  • Students may not have access to parental financial records submitted in support of financial aid applications.
  • With certain exceptions, each student has access to his/her personal and academic records.
  • Students may request that directory information not be released to anyone.

- back to top