How to Schedule Your Visa Appointment

  • Contact your local U.S. Consulate or Embassy to ask about how to get a F-1 international student visa. To find a place near you visit the US embassy website.
  • After you receive a Form I-20 from the school that you want to attend, follow the U.S. Embassy/Consulate’s instructions to schedule an interview for your F-1 student visa.
  • You should make your appointment for your visa interview as soon as possible after receiving your Form I-20 and paying the I-901 SEVIS fee
  • Pay the visa application fee by following instructions on your local U.S. Embassy’s or Consulate’s website.
  • Pay your SEVIS fee

What to bring to your interview:

Depending on your country and embassy or consulate, additional steps may be required, but you will definitely need the following items to apply for your student visa.

Application Fee: You will have to pay a non-refundable application fee. This means that if your visa is not approved, you will not get your money back.

Form DS-160: All applicants will need to complete and submit DS-160, the online application for a non-immigrant visa

Form DS-157: A DS-157 form for all males aged 16-45

Valid passport: Your passport must have a validity date at least six months beyond your intended period of stay in the United States.

Photos - You can upload a digital photo that is:

  • In color
  • Sized such that the head is between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches (22mm and 25mm) or 50% and 69% of the image’s total height from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head
  • Taken within the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance
  • Taken in front of a plain white or off-white background
  • Taken in full-face view directly facing the camera
  • With a neutral facial expression and both eyes open
  • Taken in clothing that you normally wear on a daily basis.

Form I-20 (sign the form)

School admission letter

A receipt for the SEVIS fee

Financial evidence - Showing that you have sufficient funds to cover your tuition and living expenses during the period you intend to study.

Other: Any information that proves that you will return to your home country after finishing your studies in the United States. This may include proof of property, family, or other ties to your community. You must bring all your original forms and documents with you.