Many of our graduates pursue careers in social science occupations such as clinical, counseling, child, and social psychology; social work; rehabilitation counseling, etc. Others go into medicine, law, law enforcement, and teaching. Still others follow business careers such as human resources, marketing, advertising, and management. A major advantage of the undergraduate psychology major is its relevance to a diversity of career paths. A few recent graduates and their initial job placements include:
- Business and Industry: recreation therapy, Berger Pines Hospital; social worker/counselor, Cedar Glen Nursing Home, Danvers, Ma.; mental health technician technician, Geisinger Medical Center, Wilkes-Barre, Pa.;and psychologist technician, Georgia Hospital.
- Government: rehabilitation counselor, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania; caseworker, Lackawanna County Institution for the Aging; caseworker, crisis intervention aide, family health worker, mental health assistant, mental health nursing assistant, program director, psychiatric aide, psychologist, recreation aide, Luzerne-Wyoming Counties Mental Health Centers; primary care, Drug and Alcohol Detoxification Unit, Wilkes-Barre, Pa.; and corrections officer, State Correctional Institution, Dallas, Pa.
- Social services: supervisor of delinquent children, Act I Group Home, Wilkes-Barre, Pa.; and resident counselor, volunteer worker, Christian Appalachian Project, Nicholsville, Ky.
The psychology major provides a solid foundation for masters and doctoral studies in any specialty of psychology, plus entrance into medical or law school, social work programs, and MBA programs, as well as other advanced business degrees. Personal advising in the department helps students choose electives, a minor, and/or a second major relevant to particular postgraduate and career interests. Placements include:
- Psychology programs: Bucknell University, Fairleigh Dickinson University, Florida State, Fordham University, Georgia Tech, LaSalle University, Lehigh University, Oakland University, Penn State University, Temple University, Texas Tech University, University of Illinois, University of Iowa, University of Maryland, University of Wisconsin, and Villanova University.
- Law schools: Rutgers, Syracuse University, Temple University, University of Pittsburgh, Georgetown University, and Dickinson.
A few recent graduates and their initial job placements include: project director, Residential Care Services, Pittsburgh, Pa.; program director/counselor/instructor of Psychology, Familicare, Eastern Mennonite University, Harrisonburg, Va.; assistant director of Co-op and Career Services, Drexel University, Philadelphia, Pa.; attorney, Bureau of Workers Compensation, Harrisburg, Pa.; independent consultant, Philadelphia, Pa; director, Wyoming County Children's Service Center, Wilkes-Barre, Pa.; human resources specialist, Tower Communications, Philadelphia, Pa.; labor relations specialist, Bechtel, Inc., Savannah, Ga.; intensive care/critical care registered nurse, Allentown Osteopathic Medical Center, Allentown, Pa.; counselor, Manheim Township School District, Lititz, Pad Dickinson.