Step #1: The approval process
Following your interview with the study abroad staff, complete the Pre-Application Form available from the Study Abroad Office and have it signed by your academic advisor and the Dean of Student Affairs. Your advisor's signature verifies that he/she is aware of your intentions to study abroad, that the program complements your studies at King's, and that you are academically prepared to study abroad. The Dean's signature verifies that you have not posed significant disciplinary problems while attending King's.
Step #2: The application process
All study abroad programs have an application form for admission. Now that you have received approval from King's College to study abroad, you must complete and submit your program application.
Follow the checklist below to complete this step.
- Complete an online or printed application according to
the instructions provided by the program you have chosen. If
you have questions about completing the application for an
affiliated or non-affiliated program, please see the study
abroad staff for assistance. If we cannot answer your
questions, we will contact the program's sponsor on your
- Complete the Course Approval Form with your
academic advisor(s). Submit one copy to the Study Abroad
Office, and retain one copy for your files. All courses to be
taken abroad must be pre-approved. Be prepared to list your
pre-approved courses on your application.
- Be prepared to supply passport-size photos, which can be
taken at several locations locally.
- Complete a Transcript Release Form, available in
the Registrar's Office, and submit this to the registrar.
Have your transcript sent by the registrar to the Study
Abroad Office. We will submit this to your program.
- Request the required number of letters of recommendation
and have these submitted to the Study Abroad Office. We will
submit these to your program along with the official
transcript and photos.
- Call the Study Abroad Office for an update on the status
of your application.
- Wait to hear if you have been accepted. You will usually hear about your acceptance within three to six weeks after receipt of your application.
Step #3: You've been accepted!
Congratulations! You are on your way to what will be a very exciting time in your life. Along the way, remember that the Study Abroad Office is available to assist you.
Any time now, you should receive information from your program sponsor regarding housing, orientation, flight arrangements, etc.
Here's what you will need to do next:
- Register at King's for your study abroad
- Get a passport or renew an old one.
- Book your flight.
- Consult the financial aid advisor for study
- Follow directions from your program and your host country
consulate to obtain a student visa, if required.
- Submit all additional forms and deposits directly to your
program by the deadlines indicated.
- Check with the Study Abroad Office about the date and
time of the mandatory Pre-Departure Orientation for all
students going abroad, scheduled near the end of each
- Write down any remaining questions you have and make sure to get them answered.